Volunteer opportunities may also be used for Service Learning credit
Please keep your CAS journals up to
Check with Ms. Doyle, Ms. Eshoo, Ms. Ferrarini
All project should address the I.B. learners profile
CAS hours - 150 total for I.B. diploma candidates
Creativity is interpreted broadly to include a wide range of arts activities
as well as the creativity students demonstrate in designing and implementing
Action can include not only participation in individual and team sports but
also taking part in expeditions and in local or international projects.
Service encompasses a host of community and social service activities. Some
examples include helping children with special needs, visiting hospitals and
working with refugees or homeless people.
Interested in politics? Get involved with the upcoming
election; talk to I.B. personnel for project acceptability.
Interested In Recycycling??? Check out
TerraCycle is a private U.S. small business headquartered in Trenton,
New Jersey, which specializes in making consumer products from pre- and post-
consumer materials. This is often called upcycling, or reusing waste
materials that are otherwise difficult to recycle
or Steinmetz Recycle Club - Ms. Dunne
New Horizon Center
6737 W Forest Preserve Ave
Carole Kilcoyne, Executive Director
(773) 286-6226 firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Bethesda Home and Retirement Center
Variety of opportunities
2833 N Nordica Ave
Ruth Werstler, Volunteer Contact
3. Center for New Community
Building community, justice & equality
Eric Ward, National Field Director
4. Portage Park Center for the Arts
3914 N Menard Ave
5. Youth Outreach Services
6417 W Irving Park Rd
Ellen Sausser, Volunteer Coordinator
(773) 777-7112 x282
6. National Runaway Switchboard
1. New Horizon Center
Developmentally disabled children & adults
Summer Camp Available - applications online
3080 N Lincoln
Want to get started????
1. Design and create a mural at school (C/S)
2. Plan and execute an art project for kids at a residential treatment
3. Plan and execute an art project at a school where students donï¿½t have
4. Learn a new musical instrument.
5. Learn an especially challenging piece of music/dance routine (C/A, if
6. Choreograph and participate in dance routine for sports events (C/A)
7. Perform music and dance in a new or especially challenging context
(public audience, large audience, competition context)
8. Do a world map mural project with younger students and teach about
9. Plan a musical program and perform for hospital patients (C/S)
10. Teach art/music/dance to another person/group of people. (C/S)
11. Design a website for a school/non-profit/charity organization. (C/S)
12. Design a series of after school tutoring sessions. (C/S)
13. Teach anything- this always involves design and creativity if itï¿½s
14. Design an awareness campaign for an environmental issue. This could
include a creating posters, creative announcements, creative presentations
15. Create a mini photography portfolio with a clearly defined theme,
objective, and goal (i.e. NOT These are all the pics of my friends holding up
16. Take a ceramics class.
17. Write a poem or short story for the SCP Yearbook.
18. Help out with yearbook creation and design
19. Write a speech on UN Day theme (C/S)
20. Start a debate team
21. Design programs for UN Day/World Spelling Day/World Maths
Day/International Literacy Day/Any other Day (i.e. be in charge and make it
22. Start a photoblog or join new photographers groups on Flickr where you
can share your photography and improve your photographs etc.
24. Find an ugly wall in your neighbourhood and design a mural for it. ?(C/S)
25. Create a historical walking tour of Steinmetz in second language with map
and signs explaining the historical significance (C/S)
26. Create a nature walking tour of Steinmetz in second with map and nature
27. Design and create attractive signs with environmental messages for your
school or neighborhood. (C/S)
1. Plan an overnight hiking expedition ï¿½ take an experienced outdoors
person with you
2. Explore the Forest Perserves (with friends)
3. Try bowling. Try golfing. Try curling!
4. Join a school team
5. Volunteer to help seniors citizens in your neighborhood
6. Learn to swim
7. Volunteer at a local park
8. Try mountain biking or learn bike repair
9. Commit to riding your bike to school a certain number of times per week
10. Learn to skateboard- BE CAREFUL!!!
11. Join a gym. Set yourself a workout plan and stick to it!
12. Join weightlifting classes
13. Join hip hop dance classes
14. Train for an upcoming running race and set a goal for yourself.
15. Join a tennis club ... learn to play tennis
16. Find a community garden and help out in it (A/S)
17. Teach sports to kids who donï¿½t get the opportunity to learn (A/S)
18. Learn to ski or ice skate this winter
19. Plan an overnight camping activity for a group of interested
elementary/middle school students and lead it (with teacher supervisor). (A/S)
1. Tutor at a local elementary school
2. Work as a teacherï¿½s aide in a local elementary school
3. Volunteer to help play with orphans at local orphanage or seniors
4. Teach singing/piano/guitar as a lunchtime or after school club
5. Teach people at non-profit or charity about open-source software and
how they?can use applications to make their organization serve people better
6. Visit the hospital for bomb survivors weekly and chat to the
residents, or teach them a new craft/skill.
7. Volunteer to teach a workshop at a local internet cafï¿½ on writing a
8. Organize a beach clean-up with your friends: find a local company who
will dispose of the trash and recycling and spend a few hours cleaning the
9. Campaign the local government on an issue you feel strongly about
10. Plant trees in watershed. (S/A)
11. Become certified in CPR/First Aid at local Red Cross.
12. Become a CPR/First Aid instructor and teach classes at local Red Cross.
13. Serve as a translator for school activities as and when needed.
14. Help a lower school club set up a website (S/C)
15. Design and perform a creative skit about healthy eating habits for lower
16. Research healthy eating options & make posters/bulletin boards (S/C)
17. Design a poster campaign for healthy eating (S/C)
18. Start a Model UN team (S/C)
CommentsAnonymousAdd a commentYour +mention will add people to this post and
send an email.
CommentCancelYou have no permission to add comments.
Check it out ...... WWW.KIVA.ORG
Great way to get involved with an international project
Get a group together - raise some funds (car wash, bake sale, etc.) then help
finance someone in the world that needs this random act of kindness).
Excellent online sites for CAS projects