Book Report Outline
Paragraph 1: Setting
1. What was the setting for this book?
2. Where did most of the action of the book take place?
3. When did it take place?
4. Describe what this place was like.
5. Why do you think the author picked this setting for the story?
Paragraph 2: Main Character
1. Who or what was the main character of this book?
2. What did this character look like?
3. What kind of personality did the character have?
4. Give an example of one of his or her good traits.
5. Give an example of one of his or her faults.
Paragraph 3: Plot
1. Briefly summarize the book’s plot in one sentence.
2. What was the goal of the main character?
3. Why was he or she trying to accomplish this goal?
4. Who or what was working against the main character?
5. What was the climax of the book?
Paragraph 4: Message
1. What was the message of this book?
2. How did the author get his message across to the reader?
3. Give a specific example of this from the book.
4. Give another specific example of this from the book.
5. What do you think the author wanted you to learn or
to feel after reading this story?
Paragraph 5: Personal Review
1. Did this book hold your interest?
2. Why or why not?
3. Did you enjoy the author’s writing style?
4. Why or why not?
5. Would you recommend this book to others?